So how does a Fortune 500 company with a massive global workforce and multifaceted market strategy keep over 15,000 employees engaged in the vision, brand and strategy of their organization? That’s what a leading technology company asked Blue Beyond when they asked for our help managing an internal brand launch across 45 offices in dozens of countries.
About The Work
As our client prepared to launch a new external brand and corporate narrative to the market, Blue Beyond understood the importance of engaging employees in the evolution of the company story and galvanizing them as brand believers and ambassadors. We worked with leaders in Brand, HR and Internal Communications to develop an overarching internal launch strategy followed by a longer-term engagement plan to align company mission, vision, strategy, values and culture.
Key elements of the employee engagement strategy included:
- Launching the brand with a global event. Orchestrating a single-day, multi-national, live simulcast event on launch day that introduced the company’s new brand while simultaneously uniting employees behind a clear, concise and compelling sense of the company’s purpose. In addition, we surprised thousands of employees with celebratory events held in offices around the world on launch day—complete with live music and customized giveaways.
- Equipping leaders and employees to be storytellers. We provided tools to enable everyone to tell the company story in meaningful and engaging ways to nurture and maintain a workplace culture of connectedness and shared sense of purpose. This included manager toolkits and briefing sessions, as well as a global employee “desk drop” (both physical and virtual) on launch day comprising inspirational materials and messaging to help employees see themselves in the company’s purpose and larger strategic vision.
- Bringing to life a new set of company values. (co-created by leadership and employees) through a multi-faceted storytelling and recognition campaign. The new values were further reinforced by adjustments to HR and company programs – from onboarding to development to performance – to incentivize and reward ways of working aligned to the desired values and behaviors.
- Uniting employees around a clear call to action in support of the company’s strategic goals. This included strategy “tours” and “unplugged” discussions hosted globally by the CEO and senior leaders, educational and inspirational podcasts and videos, an interactive intranet portal and special focus to reinforce messaging and actions in all company and leadership meetings.
- Aligning Corporate Social Responsibility efforts. We refreshed the philanthropic focus, message and set of signature programs and partnerships.
- Implementing ongoing employee engagement initiatives. In order to keep the company brand and story top of mind and integrate it into the fabric of the organization long term, we initiated annual anniversary events, creative competitions, employee appreciation initiatives and customer guest speakers.
Throughout this multi-year engagement, Blue Beyond partnered closely with our clients to come up with big ideas and creative approaches. We then helped implement those ideas down to the last detail to ensure their success.
Strong Engagement Equals Strong Business Results
The real impact of the program came directly from employee feedback, which indicated internal messaging was well received. Employees felt a strong connection to the company and a clear understanding of its vision:
- 94% of employees Agreed/Strongly Agreed that they understand the company’s vision
- 88% of employees Agreed/Strongly Agreed that they were proud to work for the company
- 81% of employees Agreed/Strongly Agreed that they could see a clear link between their work and company objectives
- 76% of employees Agreed/Strongly Agreed that executive leaders communicated a clear vision of the company’s strategy – a 10% increase from the year prior
And, further proof that a culture of engaged employees creates a competitive advantage was demonstrated by strong business results:
- Leadership alignment around vision, mission and values supported an increase in cross-functional collaboration across the business
- Q3 and Q4 of that year were record revenue quarters, with more than 25% growth year over year
- Q4 saw 24.5% operating margins and record operating cash flows
At Blue Beyond we know successful companies ask a lot of their employees. Wouldn’t it be great if those employees felt proud and inspired to be a part of your company’s vision? By combining brand, message and mission, you can create a lasting, unified culture of employee engagement that extends far beyond logos and slogans.
We have the know-how and the tools to help your company share its story, strategy and vision with your most important stakeholders — people who make it happen at every level in the company, every day of the year.
DOWNLOAD THE eBOOK
3 Steps to Creating a Company of Employee Brand Evangelists
True internal brand alignment requires a culture where employees feel an emotional connection to the brand and are empowered to embody the company’s values and bring the brand to life. But how do you do that?
Our eBook is a practical guide to help you achieve internal brand alignment. It provides the tools you need to:
- Support inside-outside brand alignment
- Emotionally connect employees to your brand
- Inspire employees to demonstrate brand-building behaviors